AMERICAN CANDY VINYL + track by track review || A WEEK OF 8123

11:00:00 AM


As you guys may have seen in a post previously, while I was in California, I had the chance to finally buy the American Candy vinyl at Amoeba Records. With the luck I have, I happened to unknowingly pick out the deformed + warped record out of the bunch. It scratches every time I play the opening track (which gives me an excuse to go and grab another one if I can find it in Canada!). Let me tell you right off the bat - the creative design on this thing is amazing.

The general vinyl form, itself, was cute enough but The Maine decided to take it a notch higher and make the covers interchangeable. There are a few cards inside with each guy's face on it that can be switched around on the album cover. The day I got it, I texted my friends out of mass excitement.



 And that's not even it... There's more. The vinyl itself is a cute bubblegum pink! I am so heart-eyed for it, you don't even know. The record has a new home beside Melanie + The Stones.


 
AMERICAN CANDY ALBUM REVIEW / TRACK BY TRACK:

1. MILES AWAY
I don't think The Maine could have chosen a better song to start the album off with. The guitars echo through the intro so perfectly. A song reminiscent of a west coast trip, with a rush + high that eventually came to an end. The song closes off with a more positive tone, saying that even though it's "cold + old" at home, anywhere is beautiful because the mind sees the world with a different light. / "At the moment any place I go is beautiful, 'cause in my mind I am miles away." /

2. SAME SUIT, DIFFERENT TIE
This song is actually my alarm tone in the morning and here's why... It's a feel good jam with all light spirited intentions; exactly how I like to start off my day. This song was initially my first favourite off of the album - it was the song, that at a first listen, had me knowing I was really really digging it. The album, as a whole, highlights drum + bass - but this song in particular makes it a blatant statement. I could pick up the sounds immediately and the bass added the extra groove (which did seal the entire deal). Try listening for it.


The lyrics revolve around looking and feeling good in second hand clothes that no one really needs to know aren't newly bought and high priced. Whether it's a song about fashion statement or the in-necessity of riches, "you don't need high price designs, to feel dressed up to the nines."

3. MY HAIR
The opening line: "my hair is tired and it's falling out" goes along the lines of what John said to me when we swapped hats - warning me of the little blonde hairs that would probably be in my hat. I couldn't help but laugh when I heard this song after that night. The song can easily be perceived as is, or in a metaphoric way; depends how you take it. Freedom runs through our hair - we can chop it off, try out new do's, change it, grow it out.. etc. If there's anything I've taken away from this song, it's that we should never let anyone tell us how to wear our "hair".

4. ENGLISH GIRLS
'English Girls' was the first single released off of American Candy and probably one of the more fun ones on the record. There's no real underlying or hidden message to it, but rather a narrative of a trip across the pond to the UK and the story of an intoxicated night between an American boy + an English girl. It's a fun little pop tune and something I could totally hear hitting the rotation on mainstream radio. (The music video for it is also pure gold. Took me a couple views to figure out what was truly going on, to be completely honest. The 'love' scenes are the cutest. Go check it out.)

5. 24 FLOORS
Dealing with some more serious matters + the only ballad esque song on the record, listening to '24 Floors' for the first time hit me quite hard. I can't decipher if it was the fact that it hit very close to home or if it was just me being delirious at 4 am (or both). The song painted a vivid image in my mind of being 24 floors up on a hotel rooftop, feet dangling and wanting to take the jump - and as black and white as it may sound, basically partitioning life or death. My favourite element lyrically to this song is the voice that makes them take a step back to reconsider, saying:


"You don't want to die tonight; take one more breath to clear your mind. Every moment's relevant, bittersweet and delicate, tomorrow may not come again. Tonight is all there is."

Vocally, the first chorus is sung by John in a transparently meek + a vulnerably 'tell-all' voice, yet is at its strongest. Singing the most powerful lyrics on the album, in almost a whisper, gives the song clear character and personalization. '24 Floors' is lyrically one of the strongest on the album.

6. DIET SODA SOCIETY
 When I first read the track listing, based on the title of the song, imagined it to be written about how easy it is, as a culture, to succumb to the "Diet Soda Society" - diet this, diet that; a 'skip a meal and drink a diet coke instead' kind of structuralist world. I turned out to be completely wrong and far off. The song narrates two sides of a spectrum - a man and a woman sitting across from each other at a diner; one more relaxed and laid back and the other questioning the present + seeking their future of oblivion. It took awhile for me to really get to the root of the song, analyzing line by line. As this is a review, I will be completely honest - it's probably my least favourite song on the album.

7. AM I PRETTY?
The 'am I pretty?" question comes up a lot as a society. Whether it be in a straight forward nature or through the comparison to others via Instagram/Twitter/Facebook or whatever social platform. Many go out of their way to find their own "beauty" through popularity or the superficial; giving in to trends that they know they truly aren't into, but will "like" anyways for the approval. The song says just that. The bridge rings in and gives a choir-type feel, singing my favourite lyric on the album.


"There's beauty + grace in the flaws of your face. All candor + style in the crook of your smile."

Despite the imperfection and the crooks in our teeth, we have all the beauty in the world, regardless. (Which makes me feel a whole lot better about losing my retainer.) Though I really enjoy this one, I feel it's often overlooked by listeners.

8. (UN)LOST
Taking a step higher lyrically than '24 Floors', '(Un)lost' takes top spot for me, lyrically/sonically/all of the above. Being completely honest, it wasn't one that really caught my attention right away until my mom pointed it out as her favourite song on the album. "Number eight. You've got to hear it." we talked over the phone as she raved about it. "This album holds the most meaning and that's what makes it so good."

9. AMERICAN CANDY
A lot would argue that the title track, 'American Candy', could appear on The Maine's last full length release, 'Forever Halloween' - most likely for its more somber and darker sound. Drums are hitting hard on this one and the guitars ring out. The song hold a caution for falling for things that appear sweet, but are a sticky mess to get out of. The rasp in his voice adds edge to the tune and so does his strong ability to belt when the chorus comes around. The sweet-themed metaphors, candy motif lingo, and talk of saccharine lips drives it home.

10. ANOTHER NIGHT ON MARS
'Another Night On Mars' is a song about nights in cheap bars and throwing up in taxi cars with none better than your good, closest friends. I do love a good group chant/vocal, which this song delivers, like 'We'll All Be' (from Can't Stop Won't Stop) and 'F'd Up Kids' (on Forever Halloween). It's almost become a habitual thing and it makes me feel at home.




8123 SONG OF THE DAY: (UN)LOST // THE MAINE:






You Might Also Like

0 comments

Subscribe